The National Bee Board, Department of Agriculture and Cooperation, Central Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, organized two days state level seminar on “Awareness, Motivation And Development in Technology Transfer In Honey Beekeeping in Maharashtra I collaboration with Vidya PratiSsthan School of Biotechnology, Baramati, Dist. Pune And Sipna Shikshan Prasarak Mandal Amravati’s Arts, Science and Commerce College, Chikhaldara.
The seminar was held at Guest House of Chikhaldara Municipal Council, Chikhaldara 13-14 March, 2012.
Objectives of the Seminar:
“To create awareness among the farmers, beekeepers, officials, traders,, processors, exporters etc. about scientific beekeeping in the state level as to understand the role of honey bees/ beekeeping in increasing the income of the farmers/ beekeepers by increasing the yield of various crops through pollination and production of Honey and other products.”
National Bee Board:
National Bee Board (NBB), registered society under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, was reconstituted / restructured by the Department of Agriculture & Cooperationm, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. Of India under the Chairmanship of Secretary (A & C) with public- private participation in June, 2006. The main goal of NBB is overall development of scientific beekeeping in India by7 popularizing sate of art technologies relating to nucleus stock production , capacity building and training of bee breeders and beekeepers, production & processing bof bee products, etc. and to increase the productivity of crops through pollination and increasing the honey production for enhancing the income of the beekeepers/ farmers.
Districtwise participation of participants are as follows-
It was unanimous recommend that –
- All Beekeepers, Farmers, Honey Collector and concerned should be brought under one roof organization to form for mutual benefit and rapid beekeeping development in the State.
- Training in scientific beekeeping with Apis Mellifera, Apis Cerena should be done before supply of bee colonies.
- Separate and effective arrangement for manufacture and supply of bee hives, tools and equipments as per specification of Bureau of Indian standards to be made.
- Training in collection of Honey, Wax and Pollen from rock bees (Apis Dorsata) by scientific methods to be imparted in potentials forest areas like Melghat.
- Arrangement of procuring, storage, processing, packaging and marketing of honey and bee products to be made.
- Honey bee centre to start at Chikhaldara as proposed by VSBT, Baramati for training and promotion of Beekeeping.
- Melghat flora with specific medicine value and honey produced from this to be explored and marketed as Organic and Medicinal Honey.
- Nutritious honey may be used in products as Nutrition supplement and Nutrition substitute.
- Forest Dept., Agriculture Dept., Environment Dept. and other concern may be jointly involved in beekeeping and collection of Honey especially in Melghat and other part of the state.
- Scientific beekeeping and hygienic methods of collection of Honey, Wax and Pollen etc. will produce quality products with its test report will assure safe marketing.
- Research on Wild Honey Bees, Apis Dorsata, Apis Florea and Trigona i. to be taken up at VSBT and other collaborating centers for better utilization of bees for pollination service and production of honey and bee products.
- Awareness and publicity in beekeeping to be taken and on large scale.